Her Majesty’s Theatre is located in the heart of Adelaide’s CBD. Opening as the Tivoli in 1913, the theatre originally seated 2,170 patrons and was at one time regarded as the finest theatre in Australia. Over the last century the theatre has undergone a number of name changes including The Prince of Wales Theatre and The Opera Theatre, however it is currently known as Her Majesty’s Theatre.
Redevelopments in the 1960s and 70s boarded up the theatre’s Grand Circle, stripped out all original features and reduced the size of the stage, more than halving the theatre’s capacity. Although this was well-intentioned the changes commercially constrained the theatre and made performances increasingly uncomfortable and inaccessible for audiences and artists.
The current renewal project that is underway will provide a new 1,472 seat auditorium over three levels, in addition to bars, accessible lifts and spacious backstage facilities. The design is in keeping with the original interior and heritage of the building and the existing Edwardian building façade is being retained and restored. An existing adjoining building has been purchased and will be utilised to provide rehearsal and performance space, together with the existing laneway area.
The renewal project will enable the theatre to host in excess of 50 additional performances each year.
Dewick & Associates worked with Electrical Contractor Niramar to develop an extensive Electrical Services O&M Manual for the project, in accordance with the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure’s (DPTI) rigorous O&M manual guidelines to ensure a smooth handover at Practical Completion.
Electrical Services Contractor: Niramar